Friday, June 29, 2012

Week 2: The Rediscovery of Gita

So here are more pictures of Week 2. During the weekend, we visited the Isckon Temple. 12 years ago when I came to India, I basically went all over the South. One of my stops was Bangalore where I visited the Isckon Temple.I couldn't remember exactly what I did but I have a vivid snapshot of  the idols Lord Krishna, Radha and Lord Balaram. I remember being so happy that the temple was clean and that no priests were demanding for money. I especially felt happy that there were no beggars around. At that time, I officially declared the Isckon Temple the best temple in India.

But with that declaration came many changes. The visit to Isckon transformed my father into a Krishna devotee. He gave up meat and embraced being a vegetarian. He began reading the Bhagavad Gita and the Srimad Bhagavatam.I was being preached about God. Being 9 years of age, I did not understand his fascination with what the Gita was all about.I did not understand what is so great about being vegetarian. I understood why he did it, but did not share his convictions.My dad also understood that its his duty to tell me what I needed to know about the spiritual knowledge but he also knew that he can't force that knowledge on me.And I thank him for that

The temple ahs changed so much. The added security and the expansion astounded me. I felt different once I was there. I can't quite describe it, but I left the temple content and happy. In Iskcon, the Maha Mantra is constantly being recited.It goes like this:
                 
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare









Now that I have returned to Isckon for the second time,I began picking up the Gita wanting to know more.And I look forward to learn more.

"In order to deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to re-establish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium."
-Bhagavad Gita

No comments:

Post a Comment